[Bf-translations-dev] Dutch translation initiative

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Wed Aug 12 22:15:28 CEST 2015

Hi All,

We are currently looking into translating blender to dutch using the
dutch community.
The current translation is around 100 translated text and there are
around 22000 different text to translate.

I want to discuss a bit about a good process to translate this using a
community effort.
As tool Bastien advised using POEdit. It seems to be capable of doing
the job.

Step 1. Preparation
Update the current nl.po file with the all untranslated text.
I was not able to find any POT file, so I used POEdit to add all text
from the fr.po to the nl.po. The French language has the most translated
text. Doing this I assume that it is up to date, but not sure if this is
the case

Split the nl.po into smaller parts. Let assume a person can translate
250 lines of text in an hour. We split the nl.po file into 100 files
containing around 250 lines of text to translate. And place all these
files in a folder named "untranslated"

Step 2. Giving work to a team member
When a team member ask to work on the translation we send some files to
the member. The send files will be removed from the "untranslated"
folder and punt in the "inprocess/{member_name}". This way we ensure
that we know who works on what and if it does not take too much time

Step 3. Receiving translated work from a team member.
When receiving the work we move the file to "done/{member_name}" we
remove the file from the "inprocess" folder.

Step 4. send for review
Occasionally we will merge all po files inside the "done"  folder to the
nl.po. This file would contain only translated/not fuzy translations.
This po file could be reviewed and technically tested in a dev branch.
and committed to the bf-translation git for the next release.

Is this a good way to do community based translation?
Does anyone have some advice, experience?
Is there any up to date POT file, or what are the instructions to
generate one from trunk?
What order in the po files would be good in order to get more auto matches.
How did you do it? :-)

Thanks in advance,
Jeroen