[Bf-translations-dev] i18n: contexts now available!

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 3 12:26:29 CET 2012

In fact, rather than "noun", "verb" and "adjective" contexts (I doubt
the later would be much used, btw), I’d rather have an "operator"
context – theoretically, operators should always be verbs (as they *do*
something), while simple settings should always be nouns (as they *are*,
represent something). In your example, Group as verb should only be used
by grouping operator, while group as a noun should only be used by
settings controlling which groups are used/selected/etc. This would also
enforce good practices in labels themselves!

Note also that we will have a default, not-named context, used for most
common cases (e.g. "Volume" as space would be generic context, while
"Volume" as sound would have it’s "Audio" context…).

But agree this is a bit a tricky subject, as ideally we want to cover
all problems (in all languages!!!) with as few contexts as possible… So
let’s discuss a bit more, then I’ll start adding a few, most needed
contexts, and we’ll see how it goes, processing by tries and errors if
needed.

Another idea, we could end having a few (3, 4 at most) holdall
"disambiguation" contexts, to be used for corner cases when we can’t
find a better solution…