[Bf-taskforce25] readability improvements of properties window

JimmyVolatile spam at useful.no
Sat Sep 19 12:34:15 CEST 2009

I agree that automatic opening and closing of the tabs could be very useful.

1. NOTE: Click and click-drag can occur in the *exact* same screen area.
Just think of single-clicking vs double-clicking vs click-dragging of a
desktop icon.
Single click = Mouse button down --> Mouse moves less than 5 px in any
direction --> Mouse button up.
Click-drag = Mouse button down --> Mouse moves more than 5 px in any
direction --> Drag is initiated --> Mouse button up --> Drag operation is
stopped.

This means that the entire top bar of the panel can support both
single-click to open/close and click-drag to drag the panel to a new
position. (No more carefully aiming for the small arrow to expand/collapse a
panel. )So, the hotspots for the two operations do not have to be confined
to separate areas but can co-existing in the same area as long as the mouse
interaction logic supports it.

2. Having the application more intelligently display the relevant panels and
options based on selection context is something we're all used to from
context menus.

Of course, exactly what panel is correct in any given context is probably a
little up to each individual user. However, identifying those moments when
you keep searching for the right panel, like you have done, Jon, is a very
good start.

"for me it is quite a problem that blender displays so much information
at once. every time i want to find some settings I have to scroll,
search and try to remember where the desired settings are located."

This is my exact problem as well. I'll try to pay more close attention to
what panels are relevant in a given context and see if any changes like this
would solve my problem.

With regs,
Jimmy Volatile