[Bf-taskforce25] readability improvements of properties window

Jon Sandström sjon at student.chalmers.se
Sat Sep 19 12:06:27 CEST 2009

Then you'll have the ability to pin the tabs you use most frequently
(similar to current), while at the same time enjoying the benefit of
automatical closing of the ones you only open to tweak some values.

The "UI dance" could be a downside, however if you take advantage of
this system there should be no more than one tab closing for every one
opened. this means the UI will at least not dance flamenco, and the
dance will only be performed when opening a tab below the currently
opened tab (the other scenario will be a very smooth transition).
There are also ways one could try to minimize the "dancing", but
personally I would like to try this out before changing to much
interface behaviour.

for me it is quite a problem that blender displays so much information
at once. every time i want to find some settings I have to scroll,
search and try to remember where the desired settings are located. Most
often/always I know where to find it, but even then it can be time
consuming to navigate to them (time consuming as in "a few seconds", but
these seconds  soon stacks to minutes). This is the problem i am trying
to adress and I think this is an optimisation that could fit everyone as
the old behaviour is embedded within the new one.

of course, I have no problem with this being an alternative, however i
think it should be tried in action before deciding to use it as default
or not, and if all goes well there is no reason to have it as an
alternative, as both workflows should be simultaneously useable in the
interface.