[Bf-taskforce25] Blender spring cleaning

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Sat May 16 00:27:54 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:
>>>      - Can we kill classic shadow buffers?  Classic-halfway is
>>> universally superior as far as I know, and it doesn't seem to have any
>>> noteworthy performance/memory penalties.
>>
>> It's not always better; there are issues on 90 degree corners.
>
>   I've been messing around for a while now trying to reproduce what
> you're talking about.  I'm not having any luck, and I've never seen
> any issues with corners before.  Could you send an example scene?

Ah not really, I think I've seen it once or twice, but that's it.  Not
sure how to reproduce it either, heh.

>> True oversampling is better, I think.  Certainly easier then messing
>> with resolution/softness settings.
>
>   To be fair, true oversampling should be done via DSM.  This was
> just a hack to get around the lack of DSM at the time, because we
> needed it for BBB.  I'd much rather kill this in favor of your DSM
> work (granted it's on the slow side, but it can be optimized over
> time).  In the mean time, larger buffer res + softness can do this in
> productions that need it.

DSM isn't always worth it though, it really is quite a bit slower.
During BBB I tried very hard to get it working in time, but after a
certain point it became clear that it was just too slow for you guys,
so I eventually gave up on that goal.

>>> - B-bone Rest: kill this!  It's an evil behavior kept only for
>>> backwards compatability with older files!  DIE!!!!
>>
>> As someone with such a rig, I would be sad to see it go. On the other
>> hand, I'm sure my rig will need a fair amount of updating for 2.5
>> anyway, so probably the least of my worres. :)
>
>   I imagine several people out there have rigs like this.  But it's
> no longer the default behavior anyway, and for good reason: it's a
> buggy behavior.
>   Best to get rid of it in 2.5, I think, leaving only the sane behavior.

Yeah I agree.

Joe