[Bf-taskforce25] Blender spring cleaning

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Fri May 15 21:16:21 CEST 2009

>>      - Can we kill classic shadow buffers?  Classic-halfway is
>> universally superior as far as I know, and it doesn't seem to have any
>> noteworthy performance/memory penalties.
>
> It's not always better; there are issues on 90 degree corners.

   I've been messing around for a while now trying to reproduce what
you're talking about.  I'm not having any luck, and I've never seen
any issues with corners before.  Could you send an example scene?

> True oversampling is better, I think.  Certainly easier then messing
> with resolution/softness settings.

   To be fair, true oversampling should be done via DSM.  This was
just a hack to get around the lack of DSM at the time, because we
needed it for BBB.  I'd much rather kill this in favor of your DSM
work (granted it's on the slow side, but it can be optimized over
time).  In the mean time, larger buffer res + softness can do this in
productions that need it.

>> - B-bone Rest: kill this!  It's an evil behavior kept only for
>> backwards compatability with older files!  DIE!!!!
>
> As someone with such a rig, I would be sad to see it go. On the other
> hand, I'm sure my rig will need a fair amount of updating for 2.5
> anyway, so probably the least of my worres. :)

   I imagine several people out there have rigs like this.  But it's
no longer the default behavior anyway, and for good reason: it's a
buggy behavior.
   Best to get rid of it in 2.5, I think, leaving only the sane behavior.

--Nathan V