[Bf-taskforce25] Blender spring cleaning

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Thu May 14 00:44:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:

> Armature:
>      - Auto IK: IMO we should get rid of this toggle and just make it
> the default behavior for grabbing bones that don't translate (instead
> of rotating them as it does now).

This is useful for quite a few rigs, but not for all AFAIK. For some rigs,
this would be really problematic.

>      - B-bone Rest: kill this!  It's an evil behavior kept only for
> backwards compatability with older files!  DIE!!!!

I've never seen anyone use this, but I suspect there's something that does
need this.

>      - Stride root: kill this.  It's obsolete with the new NLA system.

Good to note that. Besides, it hasn't worked for a few releases ;)

>      - Kill the "W" button next to the bone shape object field.  If
> someone wants the shape to always be wireframe, they can just model
> the mesh with only edges.

-1. I think you've already forgotten the problems associated with modelling
rig controls as just meshes without wireframes; namely, that you need to set
the entire armature to draw as wireframes only then. This is not even always
possibe for linked objects.

I WILL NOT kill this until there's a much better alternative for the way the
drawing system works w.r.t. draw-modes.

> Misc:
>      - Modifiers should always be "real".  None of this "make real"
> nonsense (ala Armature modifier).  It's just weird and confusing.

Agreed. While I know that this was done for easier (read less version
patching) for pre 2.40 files, it's really quite lazy IMO.

>      - Killing radiosity: +1.

+100. I never got it to work (just like the old RVK's)