[Bf-taskforce25] Proposal: .B.blend -> startup.blend

Kernon Dillon kernond at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:32:25 CEST 2009

+10
I think the more we move away from cryptic names the better.

Also, if the console window will still exist in 2.5 it would be great if the
window was given a descriptive title (e.g. Blender Console). This would make
it easier to switch between applications because, currently, it's too
similar to the main Blender window (similar title, same icon).

Thanks for considering it,
Kernon

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed the new .b25.blend addition, which got me thinking a bit.
>
> At winter camp, we agreed that we should move to better folder
> locations for resource files, especially on OSX. For example, moving
> the contents of the .blender folder that's hidden inside the
> application bundle to /Users/UserName/Application Data/blender/ where
> it's easily accessible, and as the platform standards dictate.
>
> We should apply the same logic to the .B.blend file. For such an
> important file, it's terribly inaccessible and difficult to edit. It's
> necessary to be able to access this file for various reasons
> including:
> * For testing/debugging, being able to rename your existing config and
> test by making a clean file, and renaming back after testing
> * As an artist, packing up your config to take to a new workstation
> * Switching between configs for different users on the same workstation
>
> This is currently very difficult:
> * On Mac OS X, files beginning with . are hidden by the finder, so
> even if they were to by chance look in the non-standard location where
> it's kept, most users wouldn't even know it exists.
> * On Windows, dot files are visible in Explorer, but difficult to
> manage. It's impossible to rename a file to .something.ext, it
> requires characters before the first dot.
> * Even on many linux systems, dot files are hidden by default in the
> file browser.
>
> A good first step would be to just rename the .B.blend file to
> startup.blend.
>
> Not only would it be vastly easier to work with and manipulate on the
> various systems that Blender supports, but it also gives users a much
> better indication about the file's purpose. Then, when (as we also
> talked about at winter camp [1]) we separate this file out to one
> containing startup UI settings, and one containing preferences, we can
> give them logical names like startup.blend and preferences.blend
>
> So.. comments? :)
>
> cheers,
>
> Matt
>

> [1]