[Bf-taskforce25] Netbeans + Blender Source

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 20:43:12 CET 2009

If you want to mess with opensource 3d applications

3D App
http://www.moonlight3d.eu/cms
http://www.artofillusion.org

Rendering engine
http://sunflow.sourceforge.net

Strangely it seems these apps dont have 100's more developers,

Could be interesting for java/c++ OO fanboys to read this...
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/57643/focus=57918

Re: Netbeans since its in the subject, I get the impression many IDE's
are not well tested with large projects like blender. Netbeans 5.x
would just close when trying to load blenders sources. 6.5 Works ok
but like MSVC it needed project files to know about files existing.
Version 6.7m2 fixed this so setting up a blender project can be done under 2min.
Even though it has some really useful features it still chokes on
blenders source from time to time, and gives random - index out of
array or null pointer errors. (yep I do send off bug reports)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM,  <jgray at grayengineers.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Sven.  Very well said.
>
> The JVM/JRE and Java compilers are written in C (true, I think there
> was an experiment to write Java in Java, but it failed).  Why?  Even
> the Java developers know that C generally runs faster.
>
> A friend explained to me over lunch how the examples showing Java as
> faster than C work.  They are only for particular data structures that
> are accessed repeatedly in a certain pattern.  Java can re-arrange the
> structure to improve access speed.  But C can do the same thing.  And
> Blender wouldn't use those structures.
>
> As far as being easier to develop...  Have you ever tried to modify a
> huge Java program?  It gets just as hard as a huge C program.  The
> language has little to do with manageability of huge code bases.  The
> reason it becomes a mess and hard to work with is that it grows with
> time.  One patch on top of another makes code hard to follow in any
> language.
>
> Rigid standards for documentation and coding styles are far more
> important than the choice of language.  But when you have a list of
> ten critical bug fixes that you are getting hounded on, and have spent
> 2 hours debugging already, it's hard to spend another half-hour on
> documentation.
>
> The core developers are doing a great job.  Thank you!
>
> "There comes a time in every product cycle when you must shoot the
> engineer and ship the product." -- unknown.
>
>> From: Sven von Brand <svbrand at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl>
>> I'm a rookie here too, but, have some experience in participating in
>> other development lists, and you should be grateful with everyone in
>> this list, because they have been the nicest when answering you're
>> questions and suggestions.
>>
>> Now, from rookie to rookie, let me tell you some things:
>>
>> ... (remainder removed)

- Campbell