[Bf-taskforce25] Netbeans + Blender Source

Keanen Shaw keanen.shaw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:54:01 CET 2009

Hey Sven,
I read through your message, and you do have some valid points, however I
think you're missing THE point. In the open source community, there are no
"big dogs". I think people are overestimating the scale of projects like
this. Let's compare it to something big, like, say- Windows. I don't even
have to say anything but the name and you know how huge it is. It takes
hundreds of paid employees slaving over their keyboards to come out with
something people want to use, the finished product isn't cheap, and I have
never seen the Windows source code. That's because something that big can't
be handled by one person. The point of open source is to expand a small
project to its maximum potential. Is that where we're at now? Is Blender 2.5
the final release? I doubt it. It still has a long way to go. However, when
it gets there, the project will die. That's just how open source works.
There always has to be something to be improved. All I'm saying is that in
order to get more people on the team, an open source project like this
should be in an open source language. It's not that I can't use C, C is
easier than Java, I'm just saying that basing Blender off of Microsoft's
little thing is just wrong.
-Keanen