[Bf-taskforce25] Netbeans + Blender Source (was: Complete Rewrite)

Jonathan Merritt jmerritt at warpax.com
Sun Mar 22 06:31:13 CET 2009

Hi Campbell,

On 22/03/2009, at 2:53 PM, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Though I have been using Netbeans recently (and eclipse before that)
> with (Sun's JVM with hotspot), and I get quite frequent hangs due to
> garbage collection and weired errors that leave me wondering weather
> the applications internal state is messed up or not...
> And Netbeans is from sun who wrote java!
> - So Im quite happy not to be tried to java with its sluggish jvm.

It sounds like you might really benefit from reporting some of those
Netbeans bugs! :-P  Btw: Netbeans is mainly developed by Sun
employees, but it's an Open Source project.

To get this discussion back on the Blender track:

Are you using Netbeans for Blender source (via the C/C++ plugin)?  If
so, I'd be interested to hear how you've set the project up.  I think
it would be useful for a lot of people to be able to make greater use
of IDE features (not just Netbeans) on Blender code.

In the past (a few years ago now), I tried using KDevelop on both
Blender and Aqsis.  The main problem I found was that KDevelop wanted
to control everything (the build system, etc.), and it seemed to be
very difficult to enable things like interactive debugging in the IDE
while still using the normal (i.e. external-to-the-IDE) build
processes.  If you have found a way to do this kind of thing using
Netbeans then I'd be very interested in helping to write it up.  It
would be great if new Blender developers could explore the code base
more easily using an IDE and features like interactive debugging! :-)

Jonathan Merritt.