[Bf-taskforce25] Complete Rewrite

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 04:53:28 CET 2009

It 'could' be true, you can JIT compile higher level languages to run
as fast as low level languages like C.
Mono for example can do JIT compiling taking advantage of SSE at runtime.

Though I have been using Netbeans recently (and eclipse before that)
with (Sun's JVM with hotspot), and I get quite frequent hangs due to
garbage collection and weired errors that leave me wondering weather
the applications internal state is messed up or not...
And Netbeans is from sun who wrote java!
- So Im quite happy not to be tried to java with its sluggish jvm.

Interesting article how unity3d moved their UI from Mac-Cocoa to
Mono-C# with their own widget set.
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Mar-19.html

Even though almost any combination lua&c, java&c++,  C#&c, perl&D
etc... could be made to perform acceptably if we were careful.
Currently blender devs know mostly C & Python, its unlikely we'll
switch any time soon.

2009/3/21 Patrick Sebastian Zimmermann <patrick at zakweb.de>:
> Just a small side note,
> the Java interpreter itself is written in C.
> So saying that Java outperforms C simply can't be true in such a
> general way.
>
> Greetings,
> Patrick
>
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:54:38 +1100
> Jonathan Merritt <jmerritt at warpax.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> On 22/03/2009, at 4:36 AM, joe wrote:
>> > That is called Maya.  It's slow as hell and takes easily 5 times
>> > the RAM blender does. :)
>> >
>> > Using C for an app like Blender is necessary, since you can't get
>> > the same RAM/speed out of most other languages.  Some of them can
>> > compile to native code, but that doesn't mean they're as fast; a
>> > high-level object-oriented language tends to have overhead from
>> > both the garbage collection and the object model implementation.
>> > Python is especially bad this way, but so is java, and it's been
>> > optimized to hell.
>>
>> I agree with most of what you're saying (esp. regarding memory use),
>> but in my experience, Java (Sun's JVM with hotspot) has been
>> performing about as well as C for numerical computation for some
>> time now.  There is a bit of contention surrounding this topic, since
>> it does partly depend on CPU cache usage, etc., and also on the C
>> compiler used.  But you paint the picture that Java is horrendously
>> slow, which simply isn't the case any more:
>>      http://blogs.sun.com/dagastine/entry/java_is_faster_than_c
>>      (that partisan blog post is from 2006)
>>
>> Groups at CERN and NIST have invested time in developing Java
>> numerical libraries and applications.  Although numerical Java still
>> has very little traction, it is being used successfully.
>>
>> Still, all of this is an academic discussion because Blender's
>> current code base is in C already! :-)
>>
>> Jonathan Merritt.

- Campbell