[Bf-taskforce25] wintercamp technical todos

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Mar 14 19:00:28 CET 2009

Hi Brecht & all,

Indeed time for assigning work and more planning.

Since you already started working on it, the LayOut engine can be on
your desk now. For whichever parts you'd like help I can assist, for
example adding the templates for image-properties, constraints, bone
props, etc.

Same goes for the operator upgrade. The basics you can code, but I can
help (& coordinating) the work to update existing ops for it.

When the layout engine satisfies on C level, we can check with Campbell
on the nicest Python API for it. We can assist him implementing that of
course.

What's missing on your list is a revision of our buttons drawing code.
With Matt and William we could define the definitions/specs for the
standard widget set, alignment rules, and map out how (new) theme
colors will relate to that.

My preference is to just remove all current drawing code and related
themes, and reconstruct it from scratch with higher level specs, in a
way that also keeps it open to add more drawing themes later. At least
William's style then gets implemented + 1 basic one using same
concepts, as template for later expansion.

I would also like to get buttons and text drawing possible on precise
pixel locations, for the crispiest possible AA'ed appearance. A good
start would be using a pixmap or texture map construction kit for this,
and some nice ways to quickly blur stuff for subtle shadows (as in
William's buttons now).

Matt: you're committing stuff atm in interface_draw.c, what was your
plan to do here? If you're OK, we just make a good spec doc first, then
I can try to get this code restructured in a way to survive the next
decade a bit :)

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands