[Bf-taskforce25] search-based workflow

vekoon vekoon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:43:11 CET 2009

What about context lock? I thought about this some time ago. I concluded
having an explicit context activation (i.e. click-focus) à la for
instance after effects is not super usable as it introduces a kind of
meta-modality, i.e. you have to "switch" to something before you can
actually use it. But in some circumstances it can make sense to have a
"focus" type of thing independent of cursor position (like in this case
for expressions and maybe others).
My idea was to create a "lock context" functionality in which an editor
is locked to capture the focus whatever the position of the mouse is. It
could be a button on the header or such. It could even be made a
non-exclusive type of thing so that you can lock the context to more
than 1 editor and then which one actually has the focus is decided
basing on cursor position and if cursor is in a non-locked editor you
just pick the first or the larger of the locked ones.
This of course would have some kind of explicit visual feedback, like
the border of the editor being of a different color depending if it's
normal, locked or has focus, like it actually already happens in blender
but should be more visible by default (like with high contrast colors).