[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Tue Jun 23 00:21:49 CEST 2009

Hi Tom,

On 22 Jun, 2009, at 8:45 PM, Tom M wrote:

> CWant - I'm sure we will have a 'blender keyboard layout for grumpy
> old men who refuse to change - get off my lawn!' as a default option
> :)

Indeed.

> Personally I  think the proposal is in part 'too conservative' it is
> similar enough to the old layout that existing users will be
> frustrated because it doesn't work how it used to.  While
> simultaneously being inconsistent with other 3D software - so we don't
> get any gains from existing users of other packages making the
> transition more easily, and also maintaining enough cruft (Ctrl-X,
> Shift X) that keeps it inconsistent with interface paradigms that make
> it 'hard to learn' for entirely new users.

Well, I propose to only fix the broken stuff, if you will. You are
right in that we could be much more bold, but there are many areas
where the old layout is quite good - and we can keep those basic keys
that work well. This is more like a cleanup than a whole new approach
- making Blender more compatible with laptops, and reshuffling things
slightly to make sure the most used tools and actions are within easy
reach, on the most commonly used keyboards. I'll happily listen to
feedback on this though, just as you provided below.

> It also seems to have added a few ergonomic issues (is there any
> keyboard where Ctrl-7 or Shift-7 is doable with one hand?)

Yes, good point, that's not really easy. Can also use Shift
+Q,W,E,A,S,D (for front, left, top, back, right, bottom) instead
perhaps? These should be easy to reach.

> And a few inconsistencies (the numbered keys sometimes orbit and
> sometimes change view based on whether in object or edit mode?).

Oops, that was a mistake. Fixed now ;)

Cheers,

-W