[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:45:31 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Chris Want<cwant at ualberta.ca> wrote:
> I teach Blender also, and I would like to put my +1 on the
> side advocating conservative keyboard/mouse defaults.
> I like how things work now, and that's partially why
> I've continued to use Blender for roughly a decade.
>
> Chris
> (Who doesn't want to see Blender 2.5 become "New Coke".)

CWant - I'm sure we will have a 'blender keyboard layout for grumpy
old men who refuse to change - get off my lawn!' as a default option
:)

Personally I  think the proposal is in part 'too conservative' it is
similar enough to the old layout that existing users will be
frustrated because it doesn't work how it used to.  While
simultaneously being inconsistent with other 3D software - so we don't
get any gains from existing users of other packages making the
transition more easily, and also maintaining enough cruft (Ctrl-X,
Shift X) that keeps it inconsistent with interface paradigms that make
it 'hard to learn' for entirely new users.

It also seems to have added a few ergonomic issues (is there any
keyboard where Ctrl-7 or Shift-7 is doable with one hand?)

And a few inconsistencies (the numbered keys sometimes orbit and
sometimes change view based on whether in object or edit mode?).

While I applaud William taking the initiative, I think we need a lot
more collective thought put into this.

LetterRip