[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

JimmyVolatile spam at useful.no
Mon Jun 22 12:52:50 CEST 2009

Hi again. Maybe a little OT again but here are two context-sensitive
suggestion regarding shortcuts:
1.* Use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V also for copying/pasting panels contents, *the
same way the "Copy to buffer" buttons work today. This applies to materials,
textures, IPOs and possibly many other types of panels where the function is
not used today.
To operate this, the user would just need to point at the materials button
panel, hit Ctrl+C, then select another object and press Ctrl+V (since we
already know what type of data is copied, it is not necessary to explicitly
select the correct button panel) and the data will be pasted into the panel
in just the same way as if you would have used the normal copy/paste buttons
on the panel.
2. *Similarly, with IPOs, *the user could select one object, select 2 of the
curves from the object (LocX, LocY) select another object and immediately
press Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Shift+V for the sake of argument) to paste the curves
on to the same channels (LocX, LocY) in the new object.
Now, the user can still paste the curves in exactly the same way as today,
by first manually selecting the target channels. So, both options can easily
co-exist.
With regs,
Jimmy Volatile.
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM, William Reynish <william at reynish.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After recent discussions about changing a few keyboard keys around, we
> agreed to wait and make a more thorough proposal, analyzing the
> keyboard layout as a whole instead of changing this individually.
>
> Here's such a proposal:
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/UIKeyboardLayouts
>
> I realize this is a sensitive topic, and there are of course multiple
> ways you could improve the layout, but it's become clear to me that
> some cleanup is needed.
>
> I've assumed here that we'll get a radial menu system similar to what
> Matt Ebb proposed a few years ago, because this has an impact on how
> we think about keys with multiple options.
>
> Of course I'd be happy to hear comments or suggestions.
>
> Cheers
>
> -William

Mvh