[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

Pablo Vazquez - www.venomgfx.com.ar venomgfx at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:51:12 CEST 2009

I hate to sound so conservative and all, so I wont complain about
mouse-select switch as default and stuff :) , just will try to give my
opinion in some things.

> * Removed most F-key commands. Many keyboards and computers use these for special input like volume, brightness etc.

I don't agree with this, I've been using many different keyboards and
laptops during the past years for Blender and never got the F-keys
annoying me, only one time on a Mac, which I had to turn on a special
option for it, but being that most of the community uses Windows, and
the next one in popularity is GNU/Linux running usually Gnome or KDE,
then I don't see a problem with keeping them, all laptops have a
"function" key to enable certain options on their F-keys, please keep
them, it speeds up workflow a lot.

There are some other things but I would extend it too much, for
example I'm missing the Select Linked options (Shift+G) on the 2.5
layout, but I guess that would be somewhere else.

The one I will really miss is Shift + Space for fullscreen, since
Ctrl+Up/Down is just too slow (for some reason I find *too* slow to
use my right hand for shortcuts, traveling from the keyboard to the
mouse back and forth is too much).

Just my 2 cents, since we'll have custom keymaps i don't bother too
much in going through every little change, but there are a few that I
find really fast for workflow and I wouldn't like new users to miss
them.

* Pablo Vazquez
Freelance 3D Artist
info at venomgfx.com.ar