[Bf-taskforce25] Icons design

Andrzej Ambroż ambroz at list.pl
Sun Jun 21 12:32:09 CEST 2009

William Reinisch wrote:

> [...] if we do adopt multiple sizes, it quickly becomes unpractical
> with our current icon sheet. For multiple sizes per icon, an icon
> format such as .icns is also a possibility, to keep each icon nicely
> packed together [...]

Yes, there's  libicns library under GNU licence available but the problem
with *.icns format is that there are no cross-platform editing tools that I
know. Are there any? For Windows at least?

> But then again, if the tool icons will be identical they don't really
> communicate anything ;) Probably better to either have no icons, or to
> only make icons for the most common tools - like the top 20 or so. By
> no means all operators! And you are right, most tools are too
> complicated to communicate well with 16*16 pixels.

So, Blenderheads, name the top 20 tools You'd like to have icons for and
I'll try to make some 16 and 32pix sketches.

> I know your icons were designed to look good at 16*16 pixels, but
> since they are vectors, have you tried scaling them 200% while
> maintaining the 1 pixel stroke size? It might not look too bad.

I tried rescaling but higher resolution needs some extra love - 32pix icons
should have more tiny details that give the overall finish/decor feeling -
some shadows, light reflect, beveling and loads of other things that can
(read: "have to") be dropped for smaller sizes. Imagine plain 200% enlarged
gold cube :D Pure horror.
Every bit will have to be remade somehow. Not from scratch fortunately.

Andrzej Ambroż
mob.:   505 495907
e-mail: ambroz at list.pl
g-g: 6042088