[Bf-taskforce25] Materials and Textures management.

Eclectiel L eclect25 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 21:00:38 CEST 2009

>From Nathan:
> IMO the materials and textures library views you have there
> shouldn't be in the material buttons, but rather should be some kind
> of separate generic data-browse window type.

That's interesting. A generic library with different kinds of elements
from the scene.

I guess it could feet well with this Materials Editor proposal. For
instance, materials and textures assignment would be pretty much
the same. The only thing I'm not sure if would be as clear for users
is the non-assigned materials/textures editing.
With an integrated library seems more obvious that when clicking
a non-assigned texture or material, its settings will appear in the
Materials Editor's settings region.
Having them in a separate editor, may not be as obvious.
(I see the good point of having something generic).

>At the moment 2.5 doesn't have integration with any external renderers
>anyway, but even if it did then IMO the material panel should simply
>reflect the currently selected renderer.

About tabs for render engine, I saw them as a quick way to toggle
between different engines, having them at hand always, and for
comparison reasons, either by clicking each tab to compare results
or by something like this:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/61/comparingenginesresults.png

Maybe for the libraries' thumbnails it would be good to show them
according to the currently selected render engine. Or something inside
the Libraries that lets users toggle between them easily.

Cheers,

Eclectiel.