[Bf-taskforce25] kerning - Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [20837] branches/blender2.5/blender/source /blender: Made the kerning a float, this give a little more of tweak.

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sun Jun 14 02:40:54 CEST 2009

On 14/06/2009, at 12:24 AM, Matt Ebb wrote:

> The issue is that the kerning really just needs to be left at the
> default 0.0 instead of tracking it out like that - pretty simple.

Actually, I'm not quite so sure any more.

After looking at the latest commit with variable kerning set back to
0.0, it still didn't look as good as it did originally (which was
great!). I downloaded an older build, and there are still differences.

What's different between what's happening in the code now, compared to
how it was  before all of these commits? I wonder if hinting does have
something to do with it, has a different hinting method been enabled?
When I zoom in, it does seem that the current fonts are more aligned
with the pixel grid, but this has still come at a pretty nasty cost to
kerning and readability.

http://mke3.net/blender/devel/2.5/kerning.png

I made a comparison image above with some ugly examples marked. You
can see the difference - before the commits the kerning was a lot
tighter, but more perceptually even (as it should be, and as they
spend years drilling into you at design school :) Currently, there are
more uneven gaps, especially between letters such as 'To' and 'ro'. In
'Render' in the top menu, there's good spacing between the 'e' and the
'n', but then a huge gap between the 'n' and the 'd'. The earlier,
'before' version looks much better, and the word reads as more of a
complete unit, instead of a broken apart string of letters.

Diego, do you know what's happening here?

cheers,

Matt