[Bf-taskforce25] DerivedMesh stuff

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Tue Jun 2 18:47:48 CEST 2009

Hi Joe,

Here's the patch. It contains some other stuff too which you can ignore,
and applies to trunk revision 16885, bringing it up to date would be too
much work now. It has iterators for all derivedmeshes, and also new
derivedmeshes for metaball/nurbs/curves. Also there a system to iterate
over data layers.

http://users.telenet.be/blendix/dm_iterators_patch.zip

I'm not so sure anymore iterators are that worthwhile, compared to just
making a temporary array in many cases, but it depends on what you're
doing. Extending the foreach* DM callback based functions that exist now
also can work, it gives a bit less convenient api, but simpler
implementation. Converting the subsurf to iterator form for example was
quite difficult, but on the other hand it is already implemented in this
patch of course, though maintaining this kind of code isn't ideal.

Brecht.