[Bf-taskforce25] Developer Docs

Roland Hess me at harkyman.com
Sun Jul 26 17:46:51 CEST 2009

Yeah -- I realized when I wrote that that you guys were heavily focused
on just getting things working, especially with SIGGRAPH next week. When
you do get around to it, if I could make a suggestion...

 From my standpoint, and like I said the standpoint of new or returning
devs, it would be great to have those docs created as an educational
resource more than just "this is this" and "that is that" style. For
example, a document explaining the RNA system could show some of the
props for "World," and give an example of each of the prop types with a
little breakout for what the different code portions mean and do. Follow
that up with something so that someone who wanted to add a new structure
to Blender could read it, then know the various places they need to add
code. Likewise for operators -- give an actual code example and explain it.

As I said before, this kind of stuff can be learned by reading the code,
but that's a very chicken/egg way of doing it. Reading the code doesn't
make much sense unless you already understand the structures and
available elements. Sure, you eventually get it by osmosis, but it would
be cool to have some bootstrapping help on this new stuff.

Thanks
Roland