[Bf-taskforce25] Output Targets

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Wed Jul 22 15:23:34 CEST 2009

Hi,

An idea I've been thinking about is showing / hiding panels and buttons
based on the output target / engine. By that I mean external render
engines, but also the game engine or external game engines. Hiding all
the settings that are irrelevant to that engine would make it much more
clear what is supported.

For example for the game engine only a subset of material options is
supported, and it would be much clearer showing only the supported ones.
Also then the scene and physics panels could show game engine related
properties instead of having them in the logic editor or a separate tab.
F12 could even start the game (ok, perhaps that is a bit too far :).

The main issue against I think is that for the game engine you also
sometimes bake something with the regular render engine, or do some
simulation you bake into shape keys etc. This would require explicitly
switching the engines each time. I'm not sure if this is a big problem,
i.e. perhaps separate files are used for this in many cases, need
artists feedback on this. There could also be a shortcut key for it of
course, to make switching fast.

Further there is also the implementation issue, for external engines you
can't just place if() statements in the panel code, there needs to be
some other way to define what to show. Not sure how to do this best yet,
ideas for that are welcome too.

Brecht.