[Bf-taskforce25] Drop Scriptlinks?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 01:08:25 CEST 2009

In my experience it was possible to make really cool tools/widgets
with scriptlinks but they integrated very poorly into everyday usage.
Especially how you have to have the script linked to a spesific
object/scene/camera/world. It meant any tool you made would need to
loaded in from the text editor, added to the data, select the right
scriptlink type...

I even wrote scriptlinks a while back that I thought would be useful
but never ended up using them because enabling them was such a hassle.
managing multiple scriptlinks on an object is especially tedious.

We have discussed before, but python intergration could work more like this....
* Define an object/material etc.. as type "X" - Renderman /
CrystalSpace / Luxrender / Povray /....
* On startup scripts can register themselves as callbacks to events on
type "X", (Render, Draw, FrameChange etc) similar to how menus/panels
and operators are registered.

This way blender can use the registered scripts to collect a list of
types, on a material you could select from a list of render types,
when set, all the registered callbacks will be used.

--
- Campbell