[Bf-taskforce25] defaults & tweaks list

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sun Jul 12 23:31:31 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 21:46 +0200, GSR wrote:
> Hi,
> brecht at blender.org (2009-07-11 at 1457.08 +0200):
> [...]
> > Rendering
> > ---------
> [...]
> > * Stamp time,data,frame,scene,filename metadata into image file (not
> > render). Rename it "metadata" perhaps?
>
> Sorry, what do you mean exactly, enable by default the metadata mode
> and keep as option the image stamping?

Both can still be options, but I think it makes sense to put the
metadata in the image file by default. The image stamping ("render
stamp") would need to be enabled explicitly.

> [...]
> > Other
> > -----
> [...]
> > More work:
> > * Memory limit for Undo. But this needs some kind of auto-detection to
> > obtain a reasonable limit depending on the computer?
>
> I have seen some other cases about "finding the limit" and the
> conclusion I got is that there is no such thing as the machine is
> "alive", with other apps and even users taking and releasing
> resources. Probably a better way would be to free oldest undos when
> new memory requests fail (maybe report to user if this happens below
> 64MB or so == a really small memory for today). Or let user select as
> GIMP does (min steps and max memory to be used).

Yes, I was afraid there is no great solution. Letting the user choose is
possible now, the problem is nearly no one does it of course. The GIMP
has a first time wizard for this, but I'd prefer not to

When doing an undo push and there isn't enough memory, it should indeed
free the old ones instead. That shouldn't be very difficult, but also
only solves part of the problem, other memory allocations can still
fail. Though it could be done more generic at the MEM_malloc level,
though that sounds a bit dangerous.

Brecht.