[Bf-taskforce25] defaults & tweaks list

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Sun Jul 12 20:46:19 CEST 2009

> That's the plan, eventually. Some of the tools (mainly
> the stroke drawing) might be reused for drawing
> curves too (NURBS and Bezier I mean).

That would be very cool.

> Quick "mode" already does that,

   Yup.  And if we make it a tool rather than a mode, couldn't that be
how it always behaves?  To me, anyway, having the curves stay
persistently doesn't really feel compatible with a tool mentality.  A
tool would be, "Stroke, get bones.  Stroke again, get more bones."

> That's not the only mode of operation
> though, persistent strokes with overdrawing
> and adjustment gestures is useful too.

   Absolutely, the redrawing tools are very useful.  But couldn't they
be made part of the stroke process, prior to right-clicking to
confirm?
   I guess I'm just not seeing the use-cases for persistent curve strokes.

   It would be cool to also, as a separate feature, have a
non-destructive system where the user creates bezier curves, which
then act as a sort of persistent generator of bones.  i.e. the bones
are continuously generated procedurally, so as you adjust the bezier
curve the bones move to.  Then with a multi-tentacle monster, for
example, the curves would be edited to make adjustments rather than
the bones themselves.

   But the etchaton workflow is highly linear and destructive: once
the bones are generated they have no relationship to the curve
anymore.  And that doesn't really lend itself to persistent curves, I
think.  It's more like a tool for rapidly creating bones.

--Nathan V