[Bf-taskforce25] defaults & tweaks list

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Sat Jul 11 22:35:12 CEST 2009

> Basically, what it comes down to is predictability and control. When
> you have autokey enabled on a good animation system, you generally have
> a good idea of what's getting keyed and what isn't... but as rigs
> increase in complexity and animation increases in complexity, keeping
> this "good idea" wrapped in your braincase becomes increasingly
> difficult. It's tougher to guess what is and is not keyed... or how to
> fix things when you go back into the animation for refinement. When you
> key manually, you know exactly what gets keyed, and when. It's far more
> predictable and allows flexibility for playing with your animation as
> you go.

   I was trained in the manual-key workflow, and I used to think this
was the case too.
   But then on BBB William convinced me to try autokey, and after
pushing through with it for a while I realized that--at least for
me--it was actually a better workflow.  Especially during the later
stages of the animation process, when you're doing a lot of tweaking.

   With manual keying I forget to key things, and auto-keying I
accidentally key things.  Both cases happen about as often in their
respective workflows, and both problems worsen as the complexity of
the rig increases.  But it's generally a lot easier to solve an
accidental key than a lost key.

   I do agree it would be good to have a better system for determining
what gets keyed with autokey.  But I believe that Aligorith's "keying
set" system is exactly that.

   Having said all that, I do suspect (completely without evidence)
that most Blender animators use manual keying, so perhaps it would be
good to stick with that as default anyway.  Autokey isn't a difficult
feature to turn on if you want it.  (And I do recommend actually
trying it out on two or three shots before writing it off.  You might
be surprised.)

--Nathan V