[Bf-taskforce25] RNA-IPO

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:56:17 CET 2009

Hi all,

Now that the RNA-system is nearing completion, it is time to begin work on
the RNA-IPO integration (i.e. "everything is animatable"). However, there
are still a few issues that need to be decided upon before any work on this
progresses.

The basic plan so far, is to use RNA paths, which start from an ID-block:
i.e.  ob.loc, mat.color, lamp.energy

What is unclear though, is what we should do with things like bones,
modifiers, and constraints.
If we just used them in a straightforward way, as with the previous
examples:
* for a modifier property - ob.modifiers["Subsurf"].render_levels
* for a bone - ob.pose.bones["hand.R"].loc

However, the problem with this is that it's entirely possible to end up
mixing settings from objects, bones and constraints in the same IPO-block.
Thus, actions are effectively made quite redundant in such a scenario, and
you end up loosing benefits such as action-channel grouping, unless some
context wizardry is employed...

Suggestions welcome,
Joshua