[Bf-taskforce25] Updated TODO's

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Fri Aug 14 15:35:42 CEST 2009

Well, the exponential nature makes them unpredictable to use. Who says
you want less precision the further away you are from the original
number? This assumption makes dialing in numbers with any accuracy
really hard, even impossible. This is especially obvious with
translations. Drag a transform location field, and you'll see your
object move along slowly, until suddenly it shoots along into the
distance.

There are a few other possibilities though:

1. Use speed of movement to determine accuracy

2. Use vertical height to determine accuracy

These are more predictable by users, because the user input is then
constant, and doesn't randomly change over time, causing unpredictable
results.

First option is also not a 1:1 mapping of movement, bit it's more
predictable than having things shoot off exponentially.

The second option (suggested by Aligorith in IRC) could work quite
well. The idea is that the further up, vertically or the screen, the
cursor is, the higher increments the number increases/decreases, and
visa versa. But for it to be obvious to the user we'd probably need to
add some sort of visual indication. The downside is that you'd have to
pay more attention to the direction of your mouse gestures.

-W