[Bf-taskforce25] Adding Panels/Headers/Spaces/ in Blender through python code, will it be possible?

Stefaan michielsen stefaan.michielsen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:35:12 CEST 2009

I'm examining the possibility of blender use for simulating robotics.
In the idea of such a purpose I would like to add my own panels, or if
possible even a header/window/space/editor to blender solely for robotics.

Today I've been exploring the code in search for UI related code and it has
confused me a bit:

In /release/ui/<something related>.py I find several Python files, which
seem to describe the UI. However, they do not directly influent any
behaviour of blender. Are they merely there for bpy?
In /source/blender/editor I find the code for most of the buttons, switches,
menus, ...

If i want to develop such a customized panel/window/subwindow/space, will it
have to go through code patches in the blender-trunk? Or is there a python
plugin way through which this will be possible? If so could anyone point out
the parts of codes I could look at or point to the most important files? And
help me a hand?

truly appreciating

Stefaan Michielsen