[Bf-taskforce25] New tools mockups

Michael Fox mfoxdogg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 01:51:17 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 13:34 -0400, Jason van Gumster wrote:
> I'm just not sure that this is a workflow improvement. Sticky keys
> introduce multiple meanings to a keypress that aren't easily hinted to
> the user, obfuscating the experience. Also, Blender has generally
> employed a minimal amount of the press-and-hold paradigm, which is
> better for prolonged use.
>
> I'm not completely opposed to the concept of Select->Act->Tweak, but it
> does add an additional step to the flow because you have to confirm
> after tweaking. And I certainly don't want to rely on holding down a
> key and applying on key-up... especially if that's the more common
> use-case. In the case of extrusion, the current moving mouse method is
> faster (and more likely to be used) than the tap method you propose...
> but the tap method has the quicker access. It seems backwards.
>
> I just feel that there's a more elegant solution here. Parametric
> editing is great, but the point here is that it's a *tweaking* step. By
> their definition, tweaks are optional or after-the-fact and shouldn't be
> a forced step in every operation.
>
> Of course, I could clearly be overstepping my bounds here, and missing
> some critical point. If so, please let me know.
>
>   -Jason

Where did you get this confirm thingy, 2.5's 'tweak is only there if you
need to, the tool is already confirmed when you tweak it just restores
before the operator then reruns with new settings, you don't need to
confirm anything (though a nice repeat option would be nice :) ).
--
Michael Fox
Developer and user of Blender3d

mfoxdogg at gmail.com