[Bf-taskforce25] New tools mockups

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 24 18:20:24 CEST 2009

Hi Jason,

Our tools ("Operators") all have a provision to become temporarily
modal, to catch user input while operate. This is already used a lot,
from dragging screen edges to transform.

An interactive beveling tool can simply do the same, and we can also
code special modal subdivision/cutting tools when required.

Another idea we'd like to test is a hotkey to move input focus to tool
properties immediately, without moving mouse. That way you can probably
tweak things quite efficiently.

My preference is still to first do a good test of this
"Select->Action->Tweak" flow. I think there's very good ways possible
to make it work outstanding. Obviously, in cases where this concept
fails we just do it differently :) Painting tools for example already
will have to work differently in some ways.

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands