[Bf-taskforce25] New tools mockups

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Fri Apr 24 17:12:21 CEST 2009

Hi William,

William Reynish <william at reynish.com> wrote:

> We've talked before about adding a 'Tools' subregion within the 3d
> view for common 3d tools, and putting them in there. It'd be nice if
> there was some way of customizing the contents of this, however.
> Perhaps users can press a special key while using the menus to make
> an operator a 'favorite' or a discreet '+' icon within the tools pane
> can give a menu full of operators.
>
> http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/tools_region.png

How does this tools region play into the Select->Action->Confirm
workflow? Many of the tools you have in your mock-up (Extrude, Bevel,
Crease) work relative to mouse position when activated and I actually
think that's still a good thing. However, pressing a button to perform
them may put the mouse in a position to yield undesirable results. To
see what I'm talking about, compare extruding with E vs. clicking the
Extrude button in the Edit buttons in 2.4x.

Also, I think that there are more elegant ways of controlling extrude
options (if options like that are to exist). For example, Segments could
be controlled with the scrollwheel or number (a la the current loop
cut). Of course, if the tool options were to more of a live feedback
while you're using the tool, then I guess it's not such a big deal.

Hopefully this made sense...

  -Fweeb