[Bf-taskforce25] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [19527] branches/blender2.5/blender/source /blender: 2.5: Added basic insert/remove keyframes from UI buttons.

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 06:05:27 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:

>   Something I've been thinking about that's related to this is the
> behavior of the i key in general.
>
>   Personally, I don't like that it brings up a menu.  Never have,
> really.  It feels intrusive, and I have to think about it.  I think it
> should just insert keys right away.  But that brings up a whole host
> of issues itself (i.e. choosing what to key, etc.).  IMO this is
> something we should think about, rather than just presuming to go with
> a menu as before.

I remember that ~1.5 years ago when I first started planning the details for
Animato, looking at several options regarding the keyframing workflow.

One of the ideas I had regarding this, was to move all the keyframing
options to use KKEY instead of IKEY (it's probably a more obvious choice of
hotkey in terms of mneumonics too...).

>From there, we are free to use more combinations of hotkeys. So, what we
could have, is KKEY by default using the active Keying Set (or keyframing
the button the mouse is over). Shift or Ctrl KKEY could then be used to
present a menu for changing the active Keying Set and subsequently inserting
a keyframe. A similar situation would occur for deleting keyframes, with
Alt-K for delete without menu, and Alt-Shift-K or Alt-Ctrl-K for delete with
menu. This is easily achievable with the current code btw.

At the time, I figured that receiving feedback that keyframes had been
inserted could be difficult. This more of an issue for new-users groping
around the keyboard trying to find the relevant hotkeys (which really
shouldn't be an issue) than more experienced users, however, it would still
be nice to be able to have feedback that keyframes were inserted in some
non-invasive way. A non-blocking, semi-transparent info bubble which pops up
in a relatively free space, and fades out after a certain interval or after
another operation is performed (whichever comes first), could be a viable
option.

>   Another thing to think about is how to handle auto-keying with
> regards to keying sets.

True. One of the main points to think about here is whether you'd expect
auto-keying to use only the settings specified in the Keying Set. When and
what would be included - i.e. all settings in the KeyingSet as soon as one
related setting is modified?

Aligorith