[Bf-taskforce25] data api proposal

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Tue Sep 30 15:03:03 CEST 2008

Le 27 sept. 08 à 20:52, Brecht Van Lommel a écrit :

> I've made a proposal on a Blender Data API design:
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/DataAPI
>
> I think this is an important thing to get working fairly soon, because
> it would be good for other 2.5 code to have this ready: operators need
> properties, notifiers will need to be introduced and a lot of that
> would
> be in the data API code, plus UI code would use it to replace a long
> list of uiDefBut parameters. So rather than rewriting that code after
> porting it to 2.5 it would be good to have it use the data API
> already.

I like most of the proposal.

One issue you voluntary not tackle is inheritance.
However, that could come really handy to have  simple inheritance,
especially for UI code.

Eg, all modifiers share some properties, then each one define its own
values. With inheritance, UI code can treat them at the appropriate
level.

Alternatively, properties are usually grouped. So a tool like obj-C
protocols is
needed imho, to check once if all the values in a group are present
in a given
object.

I fear a bit about readabitlity of code, though, but in C it is
probably unavoidable.

Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net