[Bf-taskforce25] data api proposal

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Tue Sep 30 05:39:33 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 11:17 +1000, Campbell Barton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Michael Fox <mfoxdogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi all just a few thoughts that are jumping out at me
> >
> > - all this time i have been thinking we used shorts for bit flags as its
> > memory efficient, but changing everything to int and floats wont that
> > make blender's memory usage especially file size become huge as ints use
> > many bytes same with floats.
> don't think we should change this now, probably true for many data
> types but for faces, edges, verts, bez-triples its still good to store
> selection, modes etc in char/shorts, and we will have UI/property
> access to some of these.

The data API is not going to change how the data is actually stored, it
merely provides information on all properties and get/set functions. It
is an abstraction of the actual SDNA structs.

I've updated the wiki page making this a bit more clear, and also added
some other things that came up in the discussion.

Brecht.