[Bf-taskforce25] Feature Requests for 2.50

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Nov 26 10:05:31 CET 2008

Hi,

>  I don't know if it's the right time to throw these ideas but here
> they go.

Yes feature discussions are not really needed here. Too much work todo.
:)
Quick reply below to relevant issues;

>  1 - I'd like to have Sequences and Composite independent of scenes. I
> understand that I can do it right now by building an empty scene just
> for the composite noodle, but I find it inconsistent and confusing.

Here we follow design for the render pipeline. Check wiki for 'render
pipeline'.
Is not related to work on 2.5.

>  1a - I'd really like to be capable of using a noodle or sequence
> output as the input of an image Texture, a strip in a sequence or as
> the input for a composite, just like a render layer. It would be even
> greater if we could have more than one active camera in a scene and
> use the camera as an input texture for a monitor, for instance - I
> know that would require much more work, but since the interface is
> going to be rethought anyway...

Interesting, could be done. But not 2.5 related.

>  2 - When I change workspace, it changes the scene to the last scene
> that was edited in that workspace. I find that totally inconsistent
> and, in fact, has created some problems for me. I believe the change
> of workspace should be tied to the changing of the scene and not the
> other way around, so, when I change scene I get the workspace I was
> working in that scene.

This is a user preset, check user settings.

>  3 - I find the current method of selecting fonts for the text object
> to be suboptimal. It take a long time to change the font. The fact
> that the user needs to know the font filename doesn't help. We should
> have a font browser, with font names to choose from. That is in fact
> one of the point raised against blender at work: browsing the
> filesystem to find a font file just sucks - same for the way plugins
> are selected right now.

Also not 2.5 related, regular development stuff.

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands