[Bf-taskforce25] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [17906] branches/blender2.5/blender/source /blender: 2.5

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Dec 18 15:02:32 CET 2008

Hi,

Proposal sounds reasonable, however, I wouldn't make the undo-ability a
guideline, but more the obscurity (or clarity). Locus of attention
stuff.

Popup menus are very useful for newly added and for obscure (hidden,
not obvious) options. You don't want to accidentally hit a key and do
something you don't realize because someone added a hotkey there.

For that reason the 'rip window' doesnt need a menu, it's totally
obvious, not destructive, and can be undone  by just closing the
window. But the 'delete markers' deserves a menu, simply because
timeline is small, and an Xkey will also delete the invisible markers.

There's also myriads of keys you keep forgetting, and the menus then
show again whether it was "Make Proxy" or "Make Parent without inverse"
or one of the other plenty "P" tools :). With customizable maps you
will need this only more.

The menu also shows if there's even something 'in context'. The menu
"delete objects" doesn't show without selection. We can now even
register such automatically, and put in an error log or so.

OTH, we can easily make such menus part of the keymap. It can be useful
for power users to disable most of them.
And once we have a better buttons system, with some kind of
construction history or a panel "last operators executed", such menus
will probably be less needed too.

> So in short, this needs to be controlled somehow so that we *don't*
> get these extra confirmations when using menus to launch operators :)

No worries, that's in the spec and reason this whole 2.5 project
started!

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands