[Bf-taskforce25] Small diversion for Blender 2.5

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Fri Dec 12 17:55:01 CET 2008

This is on topic but may not seem like it. (I think so at least)

It's kind of a feature request for the new windowmanger stuff.
I keep meaning to sit down and dig through the new code but have
been pretty busy with work.  I've compiled it and played with it but
thats it.

So anyway my question/wish is it would be really nice if the new
gui code could also allow us to create a "tutorial mode" for blender.

If you haven't tried it check out alice: (http://www.alice.org/)
it has an interesting "tutorial" built right into it.  Its not
perfect  (there are some frustrating things about it.)
It is pretty slick though.

The key things I like about it, it lets you mask over most of
the interface execpt for whatever the tutorial is focusing on.
It has a history with buttons to navigate the history
and it has postit note looking pop up windows that tell you what you
should be doing next.

The reason I bring this up, is it would be cool to do, but the
interface for it is somewhat outside of how we want the blender
interface to work I think.  So its good to keep in mind while
working on things.

Going further off on a tangent, this talk about mixing games and
applications is an interesting read:
http://lostgarden.com/2008/10/princess-rescuing-application-slides.html
If when someone makes an inapplication blender tutorial...
I Know this seems off base but read it ;)
It even mentions around page 48 or so Maya and how this presentation
could apply to it.

Kent
mein at cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein