[Bf-scripts-dev] Managing scripts

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Mon Aug 21 22:49:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

Good time to discuss our next steps...

The guidelines have been online for a couple weeks, already, at:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ScriptDev/Guidelines

They were also announced on mailing lists and blenderartists.org's
Python & Plugins forum.

For now the volunteers to work on this directly are Campbell, LetterRip,
Dienben and me, but we surely expect more people to join in.

Before we go on and remove all scripts to only return them when updated
to follow the guidelines (*), I think it would be better to have wiki
documentation started.

(*) Besides that, we will use the scripts project to manage bundled and
extra pack scripts, so more people can have cvs write access.

So we:

1- Decide where the wiki and the forum for discussions will be.
2- Choose 2 or 3 scripts, update them to follow the guidelines and
document them well (wiki), defining also a basic layout for all such
pages to follow.
3- The results are presented to users on the forum so all can help test
the scripts (in multiple platforms, at least linux, win and osx) and
their docs (grammar, overall quality) and make suggestions about
improvements.

Which scripts to start with? I'd say one popular importer or exporter,
for sure -- OBJ seems a good candidate -- and one or two others that are
useful, interesting and require good explanations and pretty pictures.

--
Willian