[Bf-scripts-dev] Mesh Unfolder

matthew chadwick thesethings at referral.net.au
Mon Jul 18 12:58:26 CEST 2005

Thankyou, Vilem, for your comments and suggestions. If I get the time I
might try to write some of your suggestions in.

>1. the algorithms in the script could be used for uv mapping.

There is an experimental option in the Unfolder for this, but as I never do
any UV mapping work I don't know if it's of much use. If you click the UV
button then it should replace the original mesh's UVs with UVs of the flat
net. I'd be interested to know if this is a useful feature as I added after
someone suggested it would be good. So far as I can see, it's not much use
now that Blender has LSCM, because the distortion is so small anyway.

>2. There could be an option for adding little border faces

I have thought of adding 'tabs' feature, but never got around to it - maybe
one day! For now you be interested in the 'hidden-tape' technique:
http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/paper-models.html

>3.there could be option for splitting the mesh into islands, for the meshes
>which have none simple solution.

Yes - something I began work on a while back, but never finished, like
everything else I do!

Cheers, Matthew Chadwick