[Bf-python] building Blender 2.79 as a python module on Windows 10 x64 - no DLL found

Jonathan Railsback jonbitzen at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 05:06:13 CEST 2017

I've compiled Blender as a python module and installed it to the site-packages folder according  to the directions here:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/BlenderAsPyModule

I've found that in the bin folder, I have the expected bpy.pyd file, but no DLL files.

When I attempt to use bpy in my ide (pycharm) I get the following error after trying "import bpy":

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
File "E:\Applications\JetBrains\PyCharm Community Edition 2017.2.1\helpers\pydev\_pydev_bundle\pydev_import_ hook.py", line 21, in do_import
module = self._system_import(name, *args, **kwargs)

I've made sure to compile for release, and for x64.  I've used VS 2015 and VS 2017, and Python x64 v3.5.3 (should be the same Python as Blender 2.79).

Is this a known issue with building Blender 2.79 as a Python module?  Or is the DLL not really needed?

My overall goal is to get Blender content assist in my IDE.

Thanks,

jonbitzen