[Bf-python] T47811 - 2.8x python proposed changes

James Crowther jamesharrycrowther at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 06:10:48 CET 2017

Hi there,
	Hope you’ve all had a good Christmas and are about to have a happy new year :). I’ve been using 2.8 daily builds for a few days now that Christmas has allowed me some time off regular duties. I am working on making our addon compatible with it, but I notice that bpy.handlers.scene_upate_post/pre have been removed. Per the discussions that have occurred on the task T47811 (https://developer.blender.org/T47811 <https://developer.blender.org/T47811>) regarding this I was under the impression that we were not going to remove them, at least not yet. Better yet there were comments about repairing them so that they make calls to their subscribers only when something in the scene has changed. There was no mention on this task about them actually going to be removed so I was surprised when I noticed that they are no longer there.

As mentioned in my latest comment on the thread, we need to use this, preferable in its repaired form rather than how it used to be. Our addon needs notification of changes to blender’s data. I don’t see how we can accomplish this without having some callback we can subscribe to that notifies us of changes to the data of the scene. I’ve made a case in the task linked to above for why we need this so I won’t go into it further here. I’d just like to hear from the devs why this decision was made, and what the proposed alternative is? I’ve had a good look around the new python api in the current 2.8 and can’t see anywhere I can subscribe to get notifications about changes to the scene as I was able to do in pretty much any prior release I’ve used.

Any guidance on what the future holds for the scene_update_post and pre handlers would be greatly appreciated, restoring them to a fully functional state would be even better :D

All the best

James