[Bf-python] Handling cleanup patches from new contributor

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:03:48 CEST 2016

Hi,

There are some reasonable changes from (a) pep8 point of view (which we're
trying to stick anyway) and (b) performance point of view. Rejecting such
patches seems weird to me.

Also, instead of rejecting patches and still asking maintainers to check on
something is even more stupid. If we want to go this route, just ask the
guy to do per-addon changes and assign those to maintainers.

Or simply go ahead and apply reasonable patches globally on the whole
scripts folder.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Julian Eisel <eiseljulian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today a new contributor submitted a bunch of cleanup patches for
> Add-ons (D2201, D2203, D2204, D2205, D2206, D2207, D2208, D2209,
> D2210). This moves us in a kinda stupid situation: While we don't want
> to disappoint a contributor (a new one, who probably put quite some
> effort into the patches), we also don't want to spend much time
> reviewing/testing biggish cleanup patches with basically zero benefit,
> except of consistent code style (though I agree that this has its
> importance too). Especially now that Campbell isn't available to help
> anymore.
> It's also our general policy to let Add-on maintainers handle fixes
> and cleanups as much as possible.
>
> So as said, this is a kinda stupid situation and we're not sure how to
> solve it. I'd propose we reject the patches, but use this mailing list
> to ask Add-on maintainers to have a look at the patches. They can then
> review and merge the changes that apply to their Add-ons (with proper
> credits please).
>
> We discussed this briefly in #blenderpython and agreed on rejecting
> the patches (after all, author could have contacted us earlier too),
> but I decided to write this quick mail to avoid frustrated
> contributors.
>
> Cheers,
> - Julian -

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin