[Bf-python] Handling cleanup patches from new contributor

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:07:07 CEST 2016

Hi all,

Today a new contributor submitted a bunch of cleanup patches for
Add-ons (D2201, D2203, D2204, D2205, D2206, D2207, D2208, D2209,
D2210). This moves us in a kinda stupid situation: While we don't want
to disappoint a contributor (a new one, who probably put quite some
effort into the patches), we also don't want to spend much time
reviewing/testing biggish cleanup patches with basically zero benefit,
except of consistent code style (though I agree that this has its
importance too). Especially now that Campbell isn't available to help
anymore.
It's also our general policy to let Add-on maintainers handle fixes
and cleanups as much as possible.

So as said, this is a kinda stupid situation and we're not sure how to
solve it. I'd propose we reject the patches, but use this mailing list
to ask Add-on maintainers to have a look at the patches. They can then
review and merge the changes that apply to their Add-ons (with proper
credits please).

We discussed this briefly in #blenderpython and agreed on rejecting
the patches (after all, author could have contacted us earlier too),
but I decided to write this quick mail to avoid frustrated
contributors.

Cheers,
- Julian -