[Bf-python] Preferred way to persist settings?

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Wed Aug 31 09:59:09 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:23:44PM -0700, Ted Schundler wrote:
> I see the Blender ID add-on stores current credentials in a json
> file. But they may have other concerns about users leaking their
> credentials in shared preferences blend files.

The credentials (which I understand to be username/password) aren't
stored, just an authentication token. Since the Python scripts running
in Blender have unlimited access to your machine anyway (this
shouldn't come as a surprise), this one token isn't that much of a
security issue.

> I was thinking attaching preferences as a custom property of the
> current scene, and if not found, look for other scenes. But that's a
> little clunky.
>
> Is there anything that can have custom properties that is global? I
> can't seem to attach custom properties to UserPreferences.

It's all Open Source. Why not alter those add-ons you're interested in
so that they have the preferences you need?

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://cloud.blender.org/
https://stuvelfoto.nl/