[Bf-python] Preferred way to persist settings?

Ted Schundler tschundler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:23:44 CEST 2016

Is there a preferred way to persist settings in Blender?

For example, I'd like the images as planes add-on to let me set defaults,
since I generally want them shadeless. That's useful for compositing, but
not as useful in a shaded 3D scene, so the right default depends on the
user.

I see the Blender ID add-on stores current credentials in a json file. But
they may have other concerns about users leaking their credentials in
shared preferences blend files.

I was thinking attaching preferences as a custom property of the current
scene, and if not found, look for other scenes. But that's a little clunky.

Is there anything that can have custom properties that is global? I can't
seem to attach custom properties to UserPreferences.

Or is there another way?

-Ted