[Bf-python] Tissue add-on documentation

Christopher Barry christopher.r.barry at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:14:14 CEST 2015

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 18:21:09 +0000
"EXTERNAL Eagar Joseph (Randstad, CR/RTC1.4-NA)"
<external.Joseph.Eagar at us.bosch.com> wrote:

>Awesome.  I’m not involved in the add-on process, but I definitely
>like what I’m seeing.  I was afraid I’d have to code some of these
>tools myself.  Good work.
>
>Joe
>
>From: bf-python-bounces at blender.org
>[mailto:bf-python-bounces at blender.org] On Behalf Of Alessandro
>Zomparelli Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 12:51 AM To:
>bf-python at blender.org Subject: [Bf-python] Tissue add-on documentation
>
>​​dear all,
>my name is Alessandro and I am the developer of Tissue add-on. I
>prepared a documentation page on blender wiki:
>http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Mesh/Tissue
>It's the very first time that I contributed to this wiki project, can
>someone give me a feedback about it? Did I make it well, or did I make
>some bad mistakes?
>
>I understood that the next step is to create a link in the Scripts
>page: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts I'm
>going to do this in Mesh: External, is it right?
>
>Do you think that this add-on is mature enough to being part of
>Contrib Add-ons?
>
>Thanks,
>Bests
>
>Alessandro

>Alessandro Zomparelli
>
>MHOX - partner and lead designer -
>mhoxdesign.com<http://mhoxdesign.com/> CARAPACE PROJECT - partner and
>designer, R&D manager - carapaceproject.com<http://carapaceproject.com>
>
>Co-de-iT - computational designer, teacher -
>co-de-it.com<http://co-de-it.com>

It's very powerful and beautiful. I know English is not your first
language, and I found a few small grammatical errors I'll fix below in
a weird pseudo-diff format:

words like [This] indicate the boxed Grey background bolded typeface.

Description
- The add-on is composed by different tools for computational design.
+ The add-on is composed of different tools for computational design.

- Tessellate tool allows the user to copy a selected object (Component)
  on the faces of the active object (Generator), adapting its bounding
  box to the shape of quad-faces. Once the Tessellate button was
  pressed, then more options will appear in the Operator parameters.
  Update allows you to update the active the Tessellated mesh according
  to Component and Generator changes. You can also change the
  parameters of tessellation.

+ Tessellate allows the user to copy a selected object (Component)
  onto each of the faces of the active object (Generator), adapting the
  bounding box of the Component to the shape of the Generator's
  quad-faces. Once the [Tessellate] button is pressed, more options
  will appear in the Operator parameters. [Update] allows you to change
  the parameters of the active Tessellated mesh, including Component
  and Generator changes.

- Colors-Weight Exchanger consists of two tool:
+ Colors-Weight Exchanger consists of two tools:

- derived from the triangular mesh. Quadrangolar meshes
+ derived from the triangular mesh. Quadrangular meshes

Usage
- The add-on is composed by different tools
+ The add-on is composed of different tools

- Fill Mode: allows to chose the filling method according to user
  preferences. For quadrangolar meshes Quad option is preferable, while
  for polygonal meshes Fan works better.

+ Fill Mode: Choose fill method.
    [Quad] is preferable for quadrangular meshes.
    [Fan]  is preferable for polygonal meshes.

- Merge: removes duplicated vertices according to threshold value.
+ Merge: removes duplicate vertices according to threshold value.

This sentence is unclear to me:
  Randomize: create a random of the components according to seed.

Is there a 'seed' specification somewhere?
It creates a random 'what' exactly? A random tessellation?
Maybe should read:
  Randomize: Generates a random tessellation of components.
dunno...

Note: I'm thinking you want 'Constant', not 'Costant' here...

- Component XY: allows to chose how the component object is
  parametrized. Default is Adaptive that automatically calculate the
  Bounding Box of the object. For more control chose Costant, that
  consider a domain in which X and Y go from 0.0 to 1.0.

+ Component XY: Choose how the Component object is parametrized.
    [Adaptive] (default) automatically calculates the Bounding Box
    of the object.
    [Constant] Provides additional control. Considers a domain in which
    X and Y go from 0.0 to 1.0.

- Component Z: allows to chose how the thickness is calculated. Default
  is Costant that use the z of the component. Using Proportional the Z
  of generated components changes according to generator faces area.
  (WARNING: using Proportional can create some openings if used with
  Merge options.)

+ Component Z: Choose how the thickness is calculated.
    [Constant] (default) uses the z of the Component.
    [Proportional] the Z of generated Components changes relative to
    generator face areas.

  WARNING:
    [Proportional] can break a watertight mesh if used with 'Merge'.

- Scale: allows to change thickness of the generated mesh.
+ Scale: Changes the thickness of the generated mesh.

- Offset: allows to offset the thickness from the center.
+ Offset: Offsets the thickness of the generated mesh from the center.

Update
- The options for the Update operator are the same of Tessellate.
  Furthermore, it allows to change Generator object and Component
  object.

+ Update reuses the same options as the original Tessellate, plus it
  allows changing the Generator and Component objects.

Colors from Weight
- Convert to: allows to chose the following options: Value Channel
  (default), Red Channel, Green Channel, Blue Channel and False Color.

+ Convert to: allows choosing the following options:
    [Value Channel] (default)
    [Red Channel], [Green Channel], [Blue Channel], or [False Color].

- Invert: invert the values readed from Vertex Weight.
+ Invert: invert Vertex Weight values.

 Weight from Colors

- Red Channel: add a vertex group derived to red cahnnel of the active
  Vertex Color.
  Green Channel: add a vertex group derived to green channel of the
  active Vertex Color.
  Blue Channel: add a vertex group derived to blue channel of the
  active Vertex Color.
  Value Channel: add a vertex group derived to value channel of the
  active Vertex Color.
  Invert: invert the values readed from Vertex Weight.

+ Red Channel: add a vertex group derived from the red channel of the
  active Vertex Color.
  Green Channel: add a vertex group derived from the green channel of
  the active Vertex Color.
  Blue Channel: add a vertex group derived from the blue channel of the
  active Vertex Color.
  Value Channel: add a vertex group derived from the value channel of
  the active Vertex Color.
  Invert: invert the values read from Vertex Weight.

I know, a diff (or me just editing it) would have been better, but I do
not have an account. Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Christopher