[Bf-python] configuring content assist in IDEs for blender-python

Jonathan Railsback jonbitzen at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 18:59:47 CET 2015

I built the bpy shared object module according to the following instructions:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/BlenderAsPyModule
After performing the steps, I successfully got a bpy.so with a few other things in my build_linux directory.
So, after getting these artifacts successfully installed in my python modules path, I am able to get content assist on thebpy modules in PyCharm.  However, I am not able to get content assist for either bpy_extras or mathutils.
Are those modules special somehow?
I ran a command line python3 interpreter, and I found the following things:
 - I can import bpy OK      import bpy
 - I can only import either mathutils or bpy_extras if I have already imported bpy, as follows:      import bpy      import bpy_utils                       # if I import bpy_utils before bpy I get an ImportError, no module named bpy_utils error
 - I can't do a from ... import      from bpy import bpy_utils         # doesn't work
So it seems like there's some interdependency between bpy, bpy_utils, and mathutils.
If I could understand the import behavior I might be able to report something to JetBrains that was cogent enough for them tofix PyCharm to recognize these modules, but I'd be happier talking to them if I first understood this import behavior.
Apologies in advance, Im a bit new to Python, so my questions may be fairly basic.
Thanks
beanworks42